We all are very well acquainted with the term patent leather. Even most of us do have patent leather products like shoes, wallets, purses, and clothes. In this post, we will provide information about how to clean patent leather shoes at home.
However, it is super easy to clean patent leather shoes and you can easily clean and remove the scuff marks off from your patent leather shoes at home.
Just go through the whole post and understand each step carefully.
- What is Patent Leather?
- What is Patent Leather Shoes?
- Clean Patent Leather Shoes At Home With Household Products
- How to remove scuffs from patent leather shoes?
- How To Remove Scratches From Patent Leather Shoes?
- Things to take care of while cleaning
- How to shine & polish patent leather shoes?
- When to wear patent leather shoes?
- Do’s & Dont’s
- Pros & Cons
- What are the items made from patent leather?
- About The Post
- Final Words
What is Patent Leather?
Patent Leather is that kind of leather that has an apparent, glossy, polished surface. The surface of patent leather is usually water-resistant and it comes in the category of durable shoes.
This leather is used for the construction of black shoes, wallets, purses, and clothing. However, the surface of the patent leather products is prone to scratches.
Below, we have provided the details of cleaning and maintaining patent leather shoes.
What is Patent Leather Shoes?
Patent leather shoes are different from traditional leather shoes in terms of looks and design. These shoes are glossy and shiny which are widely used on formal occasions, parties, and functions.
The main reason for their popularity is because of the waterproof design and the trendy look they provide to your outfits during formal events.
Read About: How to clean suede shoes at home?
Clean Patent Leather Shoes At Home With Household Products
Patent leather shoes are prone to scratches and scuff marks and they got dirty quickly after 1 or 2 times of wear. However, the best part is they are easy to clean and maintain.
Household products can be pretty handy when it comes to clean patent leather boots. We have provided some valuable tips and tricks below.
- Take a tissue paper and clean the dust from its surface.
- Then you need a bowl filled with water and a clean cotton cloth.
- Now, add a drop of handwash in the water and mix them well.
- Dip the cloth in this mixture and wipe the surface of your shoes with this cloth.
- Finally, all the dirt will go away from your patent shoes.
Use Baby Wipes
Yes, baby wipes are another amazing household item that will help you to take the dirt away from your shoes and make them neat and clean. Follow the steps below.
- First of all, you need chemical-free unscented baby wipes.
- Now, rub them gently on the surface of your patent leather shoes in a circular motion.
- In the last step, you need a soft cotton cloth and buff the shoes with it.
- Finally, your patent shoes are ready to be worn again.
How to remove scuffs from patent leather shoes?
You can easily clean the dirt from the surface of patent leather shoes however, removing scuff marks from patent leather shoes is no less than a headache.
There is always a solution for every problem in this world which is why we have provided magical DIY tips to get the scuff marks off from the patent leather shoes.
Use Nail Polish Remover
Yes, nail polish remover is no less than magic when we wanted to remove tough spots and scuff marks from the patent leather shoes. Follow the methods provided below.
- For this method, you will need the following items. Non-Acetone nail polish remover, wet wipes, and cotton swabs.
- Rub the wet wipes in a circular motion on the surface of your patent shoes.
- Now look for the scuff marks and stains.
- Pour a few drops of nail polish remover into a bowl and dip a cotton swab in it.
- Rub the cotton swab directly on the scuff marks in a back and forth direction.
- At last, buff them with a tiny cotton ball.
Use Hand Sanitizer
You can even use hand sanitizer to clean and remove the scuff marks from the patent leather shoes. The steps to remove scuff marks from shoes by using hand sanitizer is provided below.
- Wipe your shoes first with a wet cotton cloth.
- Then you need a hand sanitizer and q-tips.
- Pour a small drop of hand sanitizer on the scuff mark.
- Rub the q-tip on it for 5 minutes and buff it off with a cotton ball or cloth.
Use Glass Cleaner
Yes, you read it right. A window or a glass cleaner is no less than a miracle to get scuff marks off from the patent leather shoes. All you need is to follow these simple steps that are published below.
- Wipe the shoes with a clean tissue towel.
- Then you need a window or a glass cleaner.
- Spray the window cleaner on the scuff marks.
- Rub the scuff mark with a cotton cloth or socks.
Read About: How To Clean Faux Suede Shoes At Home?
How To Remove Scratches From Patent Leather Shoes?
The worst thing about patent leather shoes is, they are prone to scratches and creases. However, we can not remove all the scratches but there are some ways through which we will be able to lower the scratches.
Follow the steps which we have provided below.
- The first thing you need is a pencil eraser.
- Rub the eraser on the scratched spot for some time.
- Then apply a few drops of hand sanitizer to it.
- Buff the shoes from soft cotton cloth.
Things to take care of while cleaning
So far, we have provided some amazing cleaning hacks for patent leather shoes that can be done easily at home by using household items and products.
However, you need to take some precautions while cleaning your patent leather shoes. The steps you need to follow are provided below.
- Do not use a regular shoe brush with hard bristles for cleaning patent leather shoes.
- You may only use a soft bristle shoe brush to remove the dirt from the shoelaces area.
- Never apply acetone-based nail polish remover on the surface of your shoes.
- Use a soft cotton cloth to wipe the dirt away from your shoes.
- Do not apply too much water to it.
- After cleaning them use them only on alternate days.
How to shine & polish patent leather shoes?
Patent leather shoes are known for their glossy and bright features. However, wearing them once or twice will result in loss of the shine from their surface.
We will guide you on how you can retain the shine of your patent leather shoes and the right way to polish patent leather shoes.
Shine Patent Leather Shoes with Vaseline
Yes, it’s not a joke. Vaseline could be the best cleaning hack for shining patent leather shoes. The correct method to shine them is provided below.
- Take a clean cotton cloth and wipe all the dirt away from it.
- After that, take vaseline on your fingertip and apply it to the shoe surface.
- Then buff the full shoe with vaseline petroleum jelly by using your finger.
- Leave it for 5 minutes and remove the extra vaseline with the help of a cotton cloth.
Polish Patent Leather Shoes
Another way to keep your patent leather shoes in good condition is to polish them regularly or on alternate days. The correct way to polish them is discussed below.
- The first step is to get a patent leather polish and a neat cloth.
- Open up the shoelaces and remove all the dirt with a paper towel.
- Then drop a little amount of patent leather cleaner on the cloth.
- Apply the polish by using the cloth on your patent leather shoes.
- Leave them for 5 minutes and buff them with a clean cotton cloth.
When to wear patent leather shoes?
However, there are many answers to this question. Most of the users and experts recommend that they are not everyday wear and some people suggest that you can wear them every day.
We will give you our opinion below which will help you to understand where you can wear patent leather shoes.
- These shoes must be preferred for formal occasions only.
- You must wear them on alternate days not regularly.
- They look perfect with a black tie and formal dress.
- Moreover, these shoes are the perfect option for children’s footwear as well.
- If you are army personnel then it looks great on the military dress as well.
- I found these shoes best to wear in winter from my personal experience.
Do’s & Dont’s
Here are the do’s and dont’s guide for patent leather shoes. Read all the details carefully to improve the durability of your patent leather shoes.
- Wear them on formal occasions only instead of the site or outdoor job.
- Try to wear them only for indoor work or occasion.
- Store them in a small shoe bag and then keep them with other shoes in a shoe rack.
- Always clean them with a soft cotton cloth at regular intervals.
- Do not wear them in dusty surroundings.
- Never wear them on regular basis.
- Avoid using them in summer because it is made from non-breathable material.
- Never use a regular shoe brush or any other hard bristle brush for cleaning them.
Pros & Cons
Patent leather shoes look trendy and impressive on formal occasions, however, it comes with both advantages and disadvantages which we have discussed below.
|1. Easy to clean||1. Prone to scratches|
|2. Gives a trendy look||2. Made from a non-breathable material|
What are the items made from patent leather?
There are plenty of products that are made from patent leather. However, we have picked up 7 popular products that used patent leather for their construction.
List of 7 popular products
- Black Patent Leather Dress Shoes
- White Patent Leather Dress Shoes
- Ladies Purses
- Women’s leggings
About The Post
This post is all about how to clean patent leather shoes at home with household products and the correct method to polish them.
Moreover, we have also provided detailed answers to every question related to patent leather shoes. This QnA guide for patent leather shoes is quite informational and help you to improve the durability of your patent leather shoes & other products.
We have provided important methods to clean patent leather shoes at home. However, we would recommend you to not blindly apply each and every cleaning hack we have provided above.
First, read the cleaning instructions label of your shoes and then use these methods carefully. Moreover, the surface of patent leather is prone to reactions and scratches as well.